Sunday, June 5, 2011

How To : Rock N' Roll Ballet Flats

Whoo! *Kicks tumbleweeds aside* I'm back! And with a tutorial no less! Have a looksie at a super fun how to I did up today!
Last summer I found a couple pairs of ballet flats at Wal-Mart for nine or ten bucks a pair so I thought I would be cool and grabbed two pair (One black and one purple) well, not five minutes into wearing the first pair I got the beginnings of a blister. Gosh darnit! I was stubborn though, instead of taking back the unworn pair and donating the other I kept them. The first pair I carefully removed the grosgrain ribbon and voila! No blisters except now I had a very boring pair of shoes. Which also looked a little unfinished. So the two pair sat in my to-do box for a year until I could figure out how to use them. Enter Ebay and the awesome cone studs I found. I couldn't wait to attach those bad boys to my girly shoes and when I did, I was in love.
Now they are not only much more comfortable they are cute too! Also, I found that with the studs, the stitching holes worked perfectly.
They were super easy to make. The hardest part is getting your hands on these little babies. I bought mine from an Ebay seller called Crush Crush, I think they also have an Etsy account but don't quote me on that. I bought ten and I wish now I had bout a hundred (Instead of the pyramid studs that I can't seem to lay straight!) they are so much fun to use.
Step 1: Using a razor blade or seam ripper remove sewn in trim. (Mine was gros grain ribbon.)
Step 2: Remove bow (Or other decoration), again I use a razor blade as mine was sewn on.
Step 3: To colour in the vinyl, I just used a black Sharpie, if your shoes are more colourful may I suggest a coordinating fabric marker?
Step 4: Thanks to the threaded bottom of the stud, all you need to do to fasten one to your object is make a hole big enough for the threaded bit to fit through and screw the cone stud on top. Easy peazy lemon squeezey!
I really think they turned out fabulous. Just a little bit of rock and roll for this soccer mom you know what I mean?
I haven't quite decided what to do with the purple pair yet, I am thinking a bright contrasting ribbon of yellow or orange woven around the edge, not sure but I'll share them when I get to it.


Linking to these great parties:
Skip To My Lou Made By You Mondays
Between naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Mondays

I know my blogging has seen less sporadic days but I am trying to figure things out! Thanks for sticking with me and thanks to my new followers as well! ♥ M

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so clever and cute Melissa. Love the simplicity and eccentricity!

Karima said...

Good Idea.
New google follower via Skip to my lou link party, please pop by, karima x
www.karimascrafts.com